Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pushback: How Smart Women Ask - and Stand Up - for What They Want

I found Selena Rezvani's Pushback: How Smart Women Ask - and Stand Up - for What They Want to be a bit of a strange read for me. I've picked up a few library books on selling yourself in a business setting, and Pushback just happened to catch my eye. Thinking that the book would give me some great advice (I am a woman and therefore the target audience), I took the book out and started reading it.

Everything seemed fine at first. I found Rezvani's writing style engaging enough. But then I got to the activity on page 50, which asks you to think through your negotiating roots. That was the point where I realized that Pushback wasn't really written for me; I didn't need someone telling me that it's okay to advocate for myself because I already do.

That being said, I did still get quite a bit out of the book. I have very little experience negotiating for things in a work setting, so I learned quite a bit in the later chapters. All in all, I'm glad I stuck it out and read  the entire book.

No comments: