Pages

Friday, January 29, 2016

The Joys of Much Too Much

I've had this book for years, but I don't think it ever made it onto the List because it's nonfiction. I don't specifically remember when I bought it, but I remember hearing about it and really wanting to read it. Bonnie Fuller was a high profile magazine editor with a family of four kids - I definitely wanted to know how she managed such a life (and how I could, too). But apparently not enough to read it for a super long time. But I've been feeling overwhelmed by life for the last few days and spied The Joys of Much Too Much on my shelf. Now seemed as good a time as any to finally give the book a read. So I shoved all the things I needed to do aside last night and started reading.

I have to say, Fuller immediately made me feel better about my life. I breezed through over half the book last night, feeling a whole lot better about everything.

Fuller talks about how she got to where she's at and shares all of her tips for anyone else interested in living life like she does (in semi-organized chaos). Sure, she'll never have a Martha Stewart-perfect house. But who cares? If that's the price she has to pay for being the primary breadwinner of her family while still finding time to spend with her husband and kids, she gladly pays it!  Oh, and did I mention she passionately loves her job, too? That's totally the type of life I want to have, too; one where I'm happy and actively doing the things I love with my friends and family!

While I breezed through the book, I have to say that the latter half felt a bit more like a slog. Hence my three star rating on Goodreads (wheras last night I was definitely thinking along the lines of a four). The Joys of Much Too Much was a good read, but it got a bit too repetitive near the end. I think it would have made a better nonfiction novella (if such a thing exists?) rather than full book.

No comments: