Pages

Monday, November 17, 2008

Twilight


This book is a little bit weird, in the whole scheme of this blog. It wasn't on the List, but neither was it a library nor school book. I borrowed Twilight from my cousin so I could read it before the movie came out. I finished it a few nights ago, but was away and didn't have time to post.
How do you approach a book like Twilight? Everyone I have talked to absolutely loves it. A friend of mine said she read it, and immediately went out and bought the sequels that were available at the time. The hype about the movie is phenomenal, with so many people extremely excited for it.
So what did I think? Honestly, it was just ok. Not fantastic. Not phenomenal. Definitely not the best book I've ever read (not even close). Just ok.
For those who don't know, Twilight is a vampire romance. Now don't get me wrong, vampire romances are alright. But this one wasn't spectacular. It focuses on Bella, a normal human girl who has no survival instincts whatsoever, and Edward, the vampire she loves.
I think part of my problem is that I am exposed to vampires a little too much. I am an avid fan of Vampire: the Masquerade, White Wolf's famous role playing game. And having read Twilight, I would bet money that Stephanie Meyer was heavily influenced by it. For example, one of the vampires, Jasper, can influence people's emotions, much like the Vampire power presence.
I also found that the book was terribly boring through the first 2/3rds. It was only the last little bit that was fun. All the rest is a lead up to Edward and Bella getting together, which you know is going to happen eventually. I give Edward points for trying to resist his attraction, but again, someone needs to teach Bella some sort of instincts.
So again, Twilight is alright. It isn't the greatest book you'll ever read. But if you like vampires, and you like romances, then there's a good chance you'll enjoy this book. Especially the romance lovers. But if you're not a big vampire and romance lover, then this is not the book for you.

No comments: