Pages

Friday, September 4, 2009

Interlude: The Time Traveler's Wife


One of the last times I went to the movie theater, I saw a preview for The Time Traveler's Wife. It looked pretty good, and I remember eyeing the book up at work in the past, so I decided to read it before seeing the movie. I was going to put it on hold, but a friend lent it to me instead (therefore it is an interlude and not a library book).
Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife is a love story. It is the story about Henry, a man with a genetic abnormality that moves him through time, and about Clare, the girl who loves him. Henry first appeared in Clare's life when she was a little girl; she grew up looking forward to his visits. Henry always appeared in her childhood when he was older; he first met Clare when he was already an adult.
The Time Traveler's Wife was admittedly a bit creepy. There are scenes when Clare is six and Henry shows up as a naked forty-year old. But overall, I thought it was a great love story, full of the everything that makes up love. As the Daily Express (UK) quote on the front cover says, it is "a magical love story that is as sad as it is joyous." I thought it was sad, but it was, in its way, a beautiful story.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

As an afternote, I also really liked some of the poems in it. They were rather pretty.