Pages

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

You Do You: How to Be Who You Are and Use What You've Got to Get What You Want

This was a bit of a weird book to read.  I kept feeling like I should stop reading, that I wasn't getting a whole lot out of it (especially right after reading Hustle).  But I never really did stop.  I said to my brother the other night that I'm clearly getting something out of it (even if it's just that I enjoyed Sarah Knight's writing).

You Do You is a self help book that is dedicated to getting you to accept yourself, to be who you are without feeling guilty about it thanks to the social contract (but Knight does not endorse you doing you if you are a psychopath).  She looks at parts of the social contract that are generally accepted by most people (but which often don't need to be - like "don't be difficult," "do be a team player," "you should smile more" and the like).  She deconstructs them all, showing you how they prohibit you from being happy (unless of course these individual things are part of you doing you, which if that's the case, she says by all means continue doing you).  There's a lot of common sense in here, but also some very interesting points (like how you don't always have to put blood relatives first just because they are your family).

All in all, I did enjoy reading this book (like I said, I never did stop).

No comments: