Hammond breaks the topic into three big parts: part 1 is acceptance, covering things like perfectionism, a never-ending to-do list (and why it will never end), and how not all stress is bad for you. Then she details next steps in part 2, covering things like how to stop the news from overwhelming you, procrastination, and other people's standards. Finally, she looks at the bigger picture in part 3 with topics like nostalgia, how to worry less, and reaching a flow state. She also lists the key points of each chapter at the end of the chapter (though there wasn't a key point page for the chapter on worry, which was unfortunate - that chapter was almost completely different practical tips you could try to reduce worry in your own life, and a one page review would have been helpful).
I honestly found Overwhelmed to be a bit of a slog to read through. It reads a lot more like a literature review than a self-help book or a book of practical tips (though I felt like there were more tips in the third part of the book). And a lot of what she talked about didn't feel relevant to my life. At times I felt more overwhelmed just reading the book, especially when my mind kept wandering and I had to reread sentences over and over again to follow them. I considered stopping reading, but I was already over halfway through the book at that point; I decided to persevere in the hopes that I might get one or two more tips out of the book before reaching the end (which I thankfully did - like I already said, I found the last part of the book the most helpful).
Needless to say, I didn't really enjoy reading Overwhelmed, and am thankful I can go start something else now.

No comments:
Post a Comment