Pages

Saturday, June 1, 2019

Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling

The library had the second Delilah Dirk title, Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling, so I decided to give it a read as well.  The King's Shilling takes place a few years after Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant.  After rescuing a little boy from his father (the boy's grandparents and mother wanted the boy back), Dirk and Mister Selim encounter an English Major.  The Major frames Dirk as a spy for the French army.  So to clear her name (and get revenge against the Major), Dirk and Selim journey to England.  There, against Dirk's initial wishes, she brings Selim to her family's estate, where Selim discovers Delilah Dirk is not Dirk's real name; she is in fact an English Lady, and her mother has no idea about her adventures across the continent!  How will Dirk manage to find the Major while keeping up the pretense that she is a regular English Lady?

I enjoyed reading The King's Shilling, but not quite as much as The Turkish Lieutenant.  In The King's Shilling, I found the action a bit harder to follow; there were a few instances where I had to reread the page a few times before I could figure out what exactly was going on.  I enjoyed Dirk's double life though (even though it's a bit hard to imagine how all the Ladies around her weren't onto something being up - Dirk isn't exactly subtle!)  All in all, this was another fun read by Cliff; I hope I'll be able to read Delilah Dirk and the Pillars of Hercules one day soon! :)

No comments: